History of Zelenogradsk

A small town on the Baltic shore, thirty kilometres from Kaliningrad, has travelled a long road. It was a Prussian village on the dunes, a royal resort, the Soviet Zelenogradsk, and, at last, a Russian town of federal significance. Over seven and a half centuries, rulers, languages and borders have changed here — only the sea has stayed in place.

From a Prussian Village to a Tavern on the Shore

The first mention of a settlement on this site dates to 1252 — the date now taken as the starting point of the town’s history. In the Prussian lands, stretched in a narrow strip between the lagoon and the Baltic, the Teutonic Order was only just consolidating its hold. The crusaders were pushing up from the south, converting the local population to their faith and blanketing the region with a network of castles and manorial farms.

The town’s name was born of everyday life. In documents from 1282 a settlement called Cranta-Krug is recorded — a Prussian-German hybrid that translates literally as “a tavern on the shore.” A year later, in 1283, the Order’s knights raised the fortification of Neuhaus nearby. This small castle in the Zaton tract closed off the southern tip of what is now the Curonian Spit and watched over the routes running along the water toward Courland.

For several centuries Kranz remained what it had been from the start — a modest roadside point by the sea. In the 16th century a customs station and the Glomsack tavern appeared here. Goods and travellers skirting Königsberg from the north passed through this place, and the fishermen of the Curonian Lagoon unloaded their catch and traded it for salt and bread. The landscape dictated the rhythm of life: the dunes, the thin pine forest, the restless waterline and the perpetual wind from the north-west did not lend themselves to large-scale trade, but they yielded a steady, modest income.

By the end of the 18th century East Prussia had entered a new phase. The kings of the Hohenzollern dynasty valued this distant corner and invested in its infrastructure. The peaceful course of life, however, was broken by the Napoleonic Wars: the armies of the First Empire, moving toward Tilsit and Preussisch Eylau, ravaged the already meagre coastal holdings. Recovery from the devastation coincided with the reforms of the Ober-President of East Prussia, Theodor von Schön. It is with his name that the historical turn which shaped Kranz’s fate for the next hundred years is associated.

The Birth of a Royal Resort

In 1816, at the initiative of the land minister Count Theodor von Schön, one of the first sea resorts on the southern Baltic opened in Kranz. The fashion for bathing in cold sea water and breathing the healing pine-and-iodine air was only just spreading to Prussia from England, and Schön saw in the shallows off the Kranz dunes an ideal setting for the venture.

In its first years the resort was more a plan than a reality: a couple of bathing carriages, a modest boarding house and the occasional visit from a physician. But its fame grew quickly. In 1829 the Polish poet Adam Mickiewicz came here to escape Petersburg surveillance and mend his health — his name became the first “star” in the Kranz guidebooks. By the second third of the century the town was already among the recommended Prussian therapeutic sites, and in 1844 it received the official status of a royal resort. That meant the patronage of the crown, steady subsidies and a regular flow of holidaymakers from Königsberg and Berlin.

The Railway and the Golden Decades

The real surge began with the laying of the rails. In 1885 the Königsberg — Kranz railway line opened, and the journey, which had previously taken a day by carriage, was cut to an hour and a half. From then on, in summer, full trains ran daily from the capital of East Prussia carrying families of officials, merchants and students. The line was extended closer to the beach, so that travellers could step out of the carriage almost straight into the sea air.

Over two or three decades the town acquired the full set of resort amenities of its time: a long promenade along the water, bathhouses, villas in the Historicist and Jugendstil styles, hotels, parks and open-air concert stages. In 1896 the foundation was laid for a new Lutheran church — a small red-brick temple in the Neo-Gothic style. It was consecrated on 5 November 1897 and dedicated to Adalbert of Prague, the 10th-century missionary who died in the Prussian lands. And in 1905, on Augustastraße, a forty-metre water tower of dark clinker brick went up, becoming one of the most recognisable silhouettes in the town.

The scientific reputation of the coast also took shape: in 1901, on the Curonian Spit, in the village of Rossitten (today Rybachy), one of the world’s first ornithological stations was opened. Millions of birds migrating along the East European flyway passed through it each year, and modest Kranz found itself written into the map of world biology.

The World Wars and the Soviet Reshaping

The First World War passed Kranz by. In 1914 Russian troops approached Königsberg, but after the defeat at the Battle of Tannenberg the front line moved far to the east. In the interwar period East Prussia was cut off from the rest of Germany by the “Polish Corridor,” yet the resort continued to live, even if under conditions of economic decline. Berliners, residents of Königsberg and members of the Polish intelligentsia still came here to take the waters and breathe the sea air.

Everything changed in 1945. The offensive of the 3rd Belorussian Front reached the coast at the end of January, and on 4 February 1945 units of the Red Army took Kranz. The town was fortunate: the heavy fighting was for Königsberg and Pillau, and the resort villas and promenade survived almost without damage. By the decision of the Potsdam Conference the northern third of East Prussia went to the Soviet Union. In 1946 it was reorganised as the Kaliningrad Oblast, and by 1948 the old German population had been fully deported.

In 1947 Kranz was renamed Zelenogradsk and simultaneously granted town status. The choice of name reflected the general policy of erasing Prussian toponymy: “zelyony” (“green”) pointed to the parks and the forested frame of the coast, while “grad” underlined its urban status. In place of the German summer visitors came resettlers from the Pskov, Smolensk and Bryansk regions and from Belarus. The pre-war villas became communal flats, the church was adapted as a gymnasium, the disused bathhouses were dismantled, but the overall framework of the resort survived.

Under the Soviets Zelenogradsk developed as a sanatorium-and-resort zone of all-Union significance. Guesthouses operated here, along with departmental holiday homes belonging to Leningrad and Moscow enterprises, and children’s therapeutic camps. Its main specialisation became balneotherapy — treatment with mineral waters and the muds of the Curonian Lagoon. Lifeguard stations were kept on the beach, roses were planted along the promenade, and the Plantage Park was turned into the main zone for quiet recreation.

In 1961, on the Curonian Spit not far from the village of Rybachy, a plot of pines was planted that would later come to be known as the Dancing Forest: why the trunks of the trees curled here almost into rings, science has never definitively established. At the same time the ornithological station was restored, receiving the name “Fringilla” — after the Latin name for the chaffinch, the most frequent guest of the local traps. In 1987 the Curonian Spit received the status of a national park, and in 2000, thanks to a joint Russian-Lithuanian bid, it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The Return of Resort Status

The 1990s were a hard trial for Zelenogradsk: departmental sanatoriums closed, infrastructure fell into ruin, and the German architecture crumbled without repair. The first step toward change was the transfer, in 1995, of the Church of St Adalbert to the Russian Orthodox Church — after restoration it gained a second life as the Transfiguration Cathedral. A crucial milestone came on 29 March 1999: by a government decree the town received the status of a resort of federal significance. This opened access to earmarked funding and set in motion a long road of recovery.

In the 2000s and 2010s the promenade was put in order, Kurortny Avenue — the former Königstraße — was reconstructed, and the water tower was brought back to life. After a large-scale restoration (2006–2012) it housed the private Murarium museum. The collection of thousands of figurines, paintings and objects devoted to cats was gathered by a Kaliningrad entrepreneur. In this way, thanks to private initiatives, cats became the unofficial symbol of Zelenogradsk, a status later cemented in murals, sculptures and an annual festival.

Today’s Zelenogradsk is a town of seventeen thousand inhabitants, where the restored villas of old Kranz stand alongside modern comfort. Guests are met by a four-kilometre promenade, a free pump room with mineral water and the fast “Lastochka” train linking the town with Kaliningrad. The Curonian Spit begins only four kilometres away, and in the summer season the town seems to return to the age of the Prussian resort, when life here was filled with walks along the sea and the sound of a brass band in the park rotunda.